Saturday, May 19, 2012

More Little Bites...


Every morning we end our class devotional time with prayer. The students all love to pray and take turns praying each day. A typical prayer is, "Dear Jesus, Thank you for today, my family and my friends. Thank you for food on the table. Please help all the people in hospital and who don't have food. Please help us not to be lazy in school today. Please help me to earn more sticks in school so that I can have a pencil or ruler on Friday. Amen." 


One of the families in the school are expecting a new baby in the coming weeks. The brother of the new baby was talking with some classmates about babies and why they had to stay in their mothers for so long. The result of the discussion was that mothers had to have babies in their stomachs because mothers need to look fat!
My six year old boy was asked what his favorite story is and the answer without hesitation; "Joshua and George Washington!" I think I might have some more work to do on the Bible and American History end of things!
I am very blessed with my class because we aren't very big we are all quite close to each other. The kids love to help one another with their work. I have noticed over the last few weeks we have been talking about thinking about others and serving one another. The other day I looked up and my six year old was helping one of my older students read his work and understand the problem. He was explaining it just like he had heard me explain it to him! Very encouraging and uplifting!

A typical shout in my classroom. "Mrs. Helena! I flushed the toilet!" Apparently this is not easy to remember and must be announced to the world when it is remembered!


The Bible story for our class devotion was the Last Supper. I was asking the kids what a supper was and the immediate answer was "The Last Supper was like Pizza night!" I am not sure where that came from. As far as I know we have never talked about pizza night and I certainly didn't mention it in conjunction with the Last Supper. It is amazing how kids minds work!

After P.E. each week I give the kids a cup of water after all their hard running around. One of my younger students took the cup and filled his mouth and then it “spilled” all over another student. When I asked him what happened he told me that his mouth was too full. I then asked, “Why was your mouth so full?” His answer? “Jesus filled it.” I then explained that Jesus had created his mouth but He did not choose to overfill it! I was just so surprised by his answer.


I am using an American curriculum for my younger students which means that we learn about some key figures in American history, such as George Washington and Abraham Lincoln. One morning my first grader was working in his language arts book. He looked up at me and said, “I want to meet George Washington.” I looked up rather surprised as it had been a few days since we had read and talked about him. “Well, that might be kind of difficult because he died a long time ago.” I explained. He looked right at me and said, “But Mrs. Helena, he was a man of God, I will see him in heaven.” Oh!!! Silly me!!!








1 comment:

  1. I love hearing your stories about school! I am so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete